Test Engineer 1
1388 Kifer Road Sunnyvale, CA 95051 US
Position Title: Test Engineer 1
Position Description: Protingent Staffing has an exciting contract opportunity for a Test Engineer with our client located in Sunnyvale, CA.
• Generates test protocols for Design Verification, Label Verification and Life/Reliability tests
• Executes test protocols for clinically relevant surgical simulation and automated testing utilizing da Vinci Surgical Systems and other test equipment
• Identifies and reports problems that arise during testing, and escalates new or persistent failure modes to appropriate engineering teams
• Creates Test Reports to provide documentation that clearly indicates the results of product testing
Test Protocol Development
• Works with Design Engineers to develop test methods needed to ensure design requirements are sufficiently verified
• Works with Test Engineers and Design Engineers to develop concepts and approaches to fixture designs
• Works with Test Engineers to create and implement harmonized test methods
Test Fixture Development
• Designs and qualifies test fixtures, test scripts and other test aids needed to perform Design Verification, and Life/Reliability tests on instruments and accessories used with da Vinci and other Intuitive products.
• Works with Design Engineering teams to ensure testability of Instrument, Accessory or Endoscope products, including both the electrical and mechanical aspects of these products
• Responsible for documentation of fixtures utilizing SolidWorks, including release of documents into Agile (document control system)
• Ensures successful, on-time completion of department projects; communicates constraints to direct management when successful project completion is at risk
• Performs a broad variety of tasks in support of product verification and test process design as assigned by department management
• Complies with company Department and Standard Operating Procedures
• Verifies and ensures adequate supply of test articles and other equipment or material.
- Education and/or Experience: BS Mechanical or Biomedical Engineering or a similar degree. Some coursework and/or prior experience in electro-mechanical engineering, along with work experience in an engineering organization. Experience working in a medical device company is preferred.
- Must have experience:
- Strong Mechanical background with testing fixtures.
- Matlab experience Electro-mechanical systems testing experience
- Preferred experience: Solidworks for documentation of fixtures
- Bachelor’s Degree Language Skills: Ability to read, write and understand English.
- Ability to read and comprehend instructions, short correspondence, and memos.
- Ability to write simple correspondence.
- Ability to effectively present information in one-on-one and small group situations to other employees, supervisors, or engineers.
- Mechanical Skills (Must have): Ability to perform the basic mechanical engineering calculations needed to support equipment design, including dimensional analysis. Familiarity with equipment needed to perform typical performance measurements on electro-mechanical systems.
- Electrical Skills (Preferred): Experience with electronic test equipment such as oscilloscopes, signal generators, power supplies, and embedded systems. Experience in “black box” testing a plus.
- Software Skills (Strongly Preferred): Knowledge of Matlab or similar scripted test languages. Experience with Solidworks. Experience with database organization and data analytics is a plus.
- Reasoning Ability: Ability to apply commonsense understanding to carry out instructions. Ability to report quality issues. Ability to suggest process improvements, especially those involving test fixturing. Must be a quick learner with the ability understand complex products and processes.
- Computer skills: Ability to use personal computers as part of daily work. Ability to use on-line documentation.
- Other skills and abilities: Ability to work in a team environment. Self-motivated. Ability to use basic tools and measuring equipment. Ability to work independently and with minimal supervision. Ability to multitask, and handle tasks with competing priorities effectively. Ability to work with biological samples, including blood, tissue, and organs.
- Integrity: Accepting and adhering to high ethical, moral, and personal values in decisions, communications, actions, and when dealing with others
- Travel: Ability to travel several times per year to support test/design activities at the Intuitive facilities.
Benefits Package: Protingent offers competitive salary, 100% paid health insurance, education/certification reimbursement, pre-tax commuter benefits, Paid Time Off (PTO) and an administered 401k plan.
About Protingent: Protingent is a niche provider of top Engineering and IT talent to Software, Electronics, Medical Device, Telecom and Aerospace companies nationwide. Protingent exists to make a positive impact and contribution to the lives of others as well as our community by providing relevant, rewarding and exciting work opportunities for our candidates.