R&D Staff Mechanical Engineer
4045 Campbell Avenue, Menlo Park, CA 94025
Position Title: R&D Staff Mechanical Engineer
Position Description: Protingent Staffing has an exciting direct hire opportunity with our client in Menlo Park, California.
- Lead the design and development of Mechanical components and systems for our products.
- Define Mechanical specifications for our products, ensuring the specifications align with overall product and system specifications.
- Provide direction and oversight of engineers and technicians
- Design the Mechanical systems of our products, ensuring the design meets the requirements and is optimized with the system design, including mechanical, acoustic, FW and manufacturability.
- Design components and assemblies for various processes such as plastics injection molding, finishing and coatings, machining, stamping, joining, blow molding, extrusion, sheet metal, laser cutting, 3D Printing, rapid prototyping, etc.
- Bench testing including Instron, Surface roughness, SEM, CT Scan.
- Lead cross-functional product design reviews, including analysis of product design tradeoffs and rationale for design decisions. Document the results of the reviews, and complete resulting action items.
- Ensure development is performed in accordance with our quality system.
- Generate Intellectual Property (IP)
- Conduct risk analyses of the Mechanical systems and document the results.
- Document the Mechanical designs with released drawings and specifications.
- Develop design verification plans, protocols and test methods, which provide evidence that the Mechanical specifications and risk mitigations are met.
- Conduct design verification testing and document the test results in design verification reports.
- Develop project schedules and align with the master product schedule and ensure project milestones are met.
- Participate in product phase reviews, ensuring deliverables are completed prior to the phase review.
- Participate in design and technical reviews, ensuring design risks, mitigations, and data analysis are presented clearly and appropriate to the audience.
- Conduct research and prototyping activities to assess feasibility of new product designs with physicians, audiologists, patients, and other clinical partners.
- Perform investigation and troubleshooting activities with clinical team members during early prototyping, design development, and design validation.
- Communicate with clinical team to incorporate feedback into decisions for design revisions, developments and tradeoffs.
- Develop manufacturing procedures, fixtures and test systems, ensuring suitability for production transfer.
- Communicate with NPI and Operations team to incorporate feedback into decisions for design revisions, developments and tradeoffs.
- Lead cross-functional review of design transfer and conduct training sessions and troubleshooting meetings with NPI and Operations team to ensure sustainability of production transfer.
- Travel as needed to vendors and OEM sites to assist with component or product manufacturing, process development, testing, and troubleshooting.
- The Staff Mechanical Engineering position requires a minimum of a Bachelor’ s degree (B.S.) in Mechanical Engineering or equivalent, and a minimum of 10 years related experience.
- Direct Hearing Aid design experience is an asset.
- Experience in concept to commercialization preferred.
- Experience in the following areas is desired: GD&T, micro-electronics packaging, acoustics, lab instrumentation, Quality System Regulations for medical devices.
- The following skills are required: Blow molding, thermoforming, plastics injection molding, SolidWorks, design for 3D printed parts, laser process of plastics, bonding, system and component level design, component and system testing.
- Excellent communication skills, proven problem-solving skills, project management, design for manufacturability, and collaboration with both internal and external resources.
About Protingent: Protingent is a niche provider of top Engineering and IT talent to Software, Electronics, Medical Device, Telecom, and Aerospace companies nationwide. Protingent exists to make a positive impact and contribution to the lives of others as well as our community by providing relevant, rewarding, and exciting work opportunities for our candidates.