Nuclear Methods Engineer
15800 Northup Way Bellevue, WA 98008
Position Title: Nuclear Methods Engineer
Position Description: Protingent has an exciting contract opportunity for a Nuclear Methods Engineer with our client in Bellevue, Washington.
- Create formal documentation of nuclear methods software requirements, design, implementation, and testing, primarily in support of licensing Natrium reactors.
- Perform commercial grade dedication of third-party reactor physics tools and data.
- Design and execute sensitivity studies to understand the effects and validity of various modeling assumptions, including meshing, physics coupling, transport options, cross section preparation, fission product models, spatial kinetics, etc., and adjust methods as necessary.
- Apply methods to assess the propagation of uncertainty and their effect on safety margins.
- Build and evaluate benchmark models of historical reactors, reactor experiments, and critical assemblies.
- Train and support reactor designers and developers in the use of the design software suite.
- Advanced degree in Nuclear Engineering or equivalent and 2+ years of relevant experience preferred.
- Fast reactor physics and design intuition.
- Experience in understanding and executing nuclear design/analysis methodologies, including criticality, flux/power distributions, fuel management optimization, reactivity coefficients, shielding, activation, control rod worth, detector response, and uncertainty analysis, ideally with a focus on fast-neutron reactors.
- Experience with some nuclear engineering software such as DIF3D, MC2, PARTISN, MCNP, Serpent, SCALE, PARCS, APA, CASMO, DRAGON, ARMI, etc. preferred.
- Good computational expertise required: we consider computers to be the universe at our fingertips rather than burdensome necessities.
- Programming experience in any language required, preferably in scientific computing; bonus points for Python, C++, and Fortran skills.
- Working knowledge of fundamental software development tools (e.g. IDEs, version control, profilers, debuggers, documentation builders, packaging tools).
- Experience interacting on nuclear methodology with the NRC under an ASME NQA-1 compliant QA environment preferred.
- Strong formal technical documentation skills required.
- Ability to consistently deliver to an aggressive schedule.
- Self-motivated: able to seek out tasks and produce value aligned with team goals without waiting for next assignment.
- Passion for and dedication to software best practices.
- Willingness to openly give and accept professional criticism through code reviews and other venues.
- Strong verbal communication skills desired.
- The successful candidate will possess a high degree of trust and integrity, communicate openly and display respect, and a desire to foster teamwork.
Benefits Package: Protingent offers competitive salary, 100% paid health insurance, education/certification reimbursement, pre-tax commuter benefits, Paid Time Off (PTO) and an administered 401k plan.
About Protingent: Protingent is a niche provider of top Engineering and IT talent to Software, Electronics, Medical Device, Telecom and Aerospace companies nationwide. Protingent exists to make a positive impact and contribution to the lives of others as well as our community by providing relevant, rewarding and exciting work opportunities for our candidates.