Mechanical System Design Engineer
15800 Northup Way Bellevue, WA 98008 US
Position Description: Protingent Staffing has an exciting contract Mechanical System Design Engineer opportunity.
- Responsible for working as part of a geographically diverse design team to develop supporting design documentation. The team members include company employees, subcontracted resources, partner employees, and customers.
- Support planning efforts and maintain schedule adherence for design activities as integration with an overall design delivery schedule.
- Design core assembly systems and sub-systems from requirements through final design.
- Apply Engineering principles, methods, and tools to the design of core assemblies.
- Support coordination of analyses, such as thermal, seismic, structural,, heat transfer, and other analyses performed by others required for the design.
- Identify and ensure effective application of correct design codes such as ASME, ANS, etc.
- Analyze and apply regulatory criteria and standards to complex mechanical system design and provide technical direction and guidance to others in applicable nuclear and non-nuclear related design standards.
- Lead planning efforts and maintain schedule adherence for design activities.
- Interface with the design team to create and manage packages of system design information, including but not limited to the system design basis documents,, 3D models, system interface drawings etc.
- Evaluate and establish design basis of equipment classifications, functions, and assessment of failure modes and their effects on system functionality.
- Interface with design disciplines (such as mechanical methods, thermal and hydraulics, and nuclear) to identify and develop system design information and specify design and performance criteria.
- Provide technical direction and oversight to supplier projects, working with the contract administrator to ensure delivery of data and other deliverables, as well as coordination and performance of technical reviews of deliverables.
- Establish and maintain system requirements and specification documents, such as Design Specifications for reactor core assemblies.
- Evaluate technology development requirements and implement development programs for engineering solutions.
- Generate design change package for key systems and sub-systems including coordination of calculations, design reports, mechanical drawings, and engineering design specifications.
- Support continuous learning and application of nuclear industry best practices to maintain the highest quality of engineering design and proactively identify improvement opportunities
- Interface with and support licensing activities associated with Safety Analysis Reports.
- Participate in project design reviews at project milestones and periodic assessment points to verify compliance and completeness of design.
- B.S. in Mechanical Engineering or related discipline from an accredited university and 5+ years direct experience with proven mechanical systems skills.
- Project Management Professional (PMP) certification is highly desired.
- Demonstrated experience in developing design of complex mechanical systems and multi-discipline integration between principal and partner organizations.
- Strong understanding of configuration management principles, as well as knowledge of design control tools application on nuclear or similar complex industrial applications.
- Previous experience with nuclear reactors and systems, high temperature pressure vessels, or similar system design is highly desired.
- Functional knowledge of the ASME Sect III Code, is highly desired.
- Experience with CAD, SolidWorks preferred.
- Experience in finite element stress analysis, mechanical analysis methods, and commercial mechanical stress analysis modeling tools with emphasis on ANSYS.
- Familiarity in Design for Manufacturability (DFM) and Design for Assembly (DFA).
- Excellent technical writing, communication, and presentation skills.
- Attention to detail and aspiration for technical excellence.
- Candidate must be a self-starter and possess ability to coordinate and work within a design team with minimal direction.
- Ability to handle projects that include many competing objectives and design constraints, with ability to resolve conflicts between objectives.
- Ability to work on simultaneous tasks that require a multi-disciplinary approach.
- Experience working to quality standards on design activities, such as ASME NQA-1 or ISO 9001.
- The successful candidate will possess a high degree of trust and integrity, able to communicate openly, and display respect and a desire to foster teamwork.
- 12 month contract
- Location: 100% REMOTE acceptable
- Pay Rate Range: $60- $75/h
- ITAR obligations are associated with this role, U.S. citizenship, U.S. legal permanent resident status, or protected person status under 8 U.S.C. § 1324b(a) (1), (3) is required.
Benefits Package: Protingent offers competitive salaries, insurance plan options (HDHP plan or POS plan), education/certification reimbursement, pre-tax commuter benefits, Paid Time Off (PTO), and an administered 401k plan.
About Protingent: Protingent is a niche provider of top Engineering and IT talent to Software, Electronics, Medical Device, Telecom, and Aerospace companies nationwide. Protingent exists to make a positive impact and contribution to the lives of others as well as our community by providing relevant, rewarding, and exciting work opportunities for our candidates.
Meet Your Recruiter
I have an ability to connect with engineers easily, with an engineering background myself, I can relate and communicate using the same language. I have been working in Technical staffing at Protingent since 2011. I have two dogs, Kaleb & Kayce and two cats, Mika and Shiloh. I am originally from upstate New York, but love living in the Pacific Northwest! I have a passion for cars, old and new.