Senior Linux Engineer
1818 Cornwall Ave Vancouver, British Columbia V6J 1C7 | Direct Hire
Position Title: Senior Linux Engineer
Position Description: Protingent has an and exciting fulltime job opportunity for a Senior Linux System Engineer /Administrator located in Vancouver, BC. You will be accountable for the design, implementation and support of a Linux based technical enterprise level infrastructure for a global retail leader. With end-users in North America, Asia, Australia and Europe you will be focused on delivering rock-solid systems to support business critical functions.
- As part of the Technical Infrastructure team, you influence the design and standards used by the entire company.
- Gather requirements, and implement large complex systems, including high availability, clustering and load balancing both on-premise and in public cloud environments.
- Assist the infrastructure team in designing and implementing strategy and technologies to deploy and manage Linux and other platforms in a hybrid cloud environment, with attention to managing identity, performance, configuration management, automation, IaC, monitoring and logging and scalable systems.
- Ensure the on-going security of the systems and the data, as it pertains to best practice, PCI-DSS audit standards and SSAE-16 audit standards. Use established hardening tools and guidelines.
- Participate in technology infrastructure strategy. Work with peers to refine process and strategy.
- Address systems performance, capacity, and reliability issues associated with IT projects and initiatives where required.
- Provide thorough documentation of systems and solutions.
- Provide on-call support as required.
- Bachelor’ s Degree in Engineering, Information Systems or Computer Science or equivalent education and experience.
- 6 years technical systems administration and deploying and troubleshooting complex Linux/Unix systems.
- Experience in an apparel retail environment is highly desired.
- Experience with installation, hardening, administration and troubleshooting in Redhat based environments, with familiarity with Redhat specific management toolsets. Experience performing relevant provisioning tasks in a VMWare VSphere based virtualization environment.
- Experience with large scale data base and transaction processing systems.
- Experience with automated deployment/management of infrastructure in public cloud environments (AWS/Azure) and high-level understanding of products available on these platforms.
- Thorough knowledge of scripting languages, Bash, Perl, Python or Powershell is also desirable.
- Thorough knowledge of configuration management tools (i.e. Puppet / Chef / Ansible).
- Understanding of delivery of infrastructure as code.
- Familiar with container technology (i.e Docker).
- Understanding and configuration / maintenance of VMWare virtualization platform, and VMWare ancillary tools (SRM / DRS / Backup / Migration).
- Understanding of provisioning and life-cycling. Solid grounding in systems and task automation, and the associated tools to accomplish this.
- Application server implementation / deployment experience ( Weblogic, JBOSS, Tomcat)
- Solid understanding of shared storage systems, and storage protocols.
- Clear understanding of basic network concepts (firewalling, routing, etc.), with a deep understanding of the Linux network implementation.
- Experience configuring core Linux OS functionality (SELinux, Kernel parameters, network, storage and memory performance impacting configuration items).
- Thorough understanding of n-tier based applications, including load balancing (F5 / Netscalar) and (Linux) clustering.
- Experience with configuration and management of enterprise monitoring and logging solutions, ensuring reliable and consistent uptime.
- Experience with managing and maintaining a large, distributed install base of linux based servers in an Enterprise environment. (All steps from provisioning, management / automation, patching, backup, DR and decommissioning).
- Some general windows systems administration-is a plus.
About Protingent: Protingent is a niche provider of top Engineering and IT talent to Software, Electronics, Medical Device, Telecom and Aerospace companies nationwide. Protingent exists to make a positive impact and contribution to the lives of others as well as our community by providing relevant, rewarding and exciting work opportunities for our candidates.