Network Engineer (Deployment & Provisioning)
1 Hacker Way Menlo Park, California 94025 | Contract
Position Title: Network Engineer (Deployment & Provisioning)
Position Description: Protingent Staffing has an exciting opportunity with our client in Menlo Park, CA.
- Deploy, configure, and support a large-scale production and corporate network and server infrastructure in data centers and Point of Presence (POP) sites.
- Calculate and document equipment power requirements and work with Engineering, Facilities Operations, and/or collocation vendors to meet these requirements.
- Manage project timelines to support network turn-up within expected completion intervals.
- Responsible for asset management of networking gear in datacenter and POP sites Proactively contribute to documentation, automation and processes as they evolve Create network and server rack face elevations, floor plans, wiring diagrams, and detailed port maps for new deployments and documentation.
- Create statements of work for vendors at the POP sites.
- Create cage and rack designs and understand the overall needs of POP infrastructure.
- Document and follow RMA processes and procedures for all relevant vendors.
- Follow, improve, and implement data center and POP best practices Provide necessary escalations to higher support tier; assist Sales and Customer Support with technical operations, and work with internal departments to ensure customer satisfaction Work closely with Network Engineering, Logistics, and equipment vendors as new equipment and technologies are integrated into the production network.
- Use internal tools and scripts to configure, monitor, and repair servers and network equipment Detect and diagnose various error/failure conditions across an array of server types.
- The ideal candidate will have 3+ years’ experience in data center deployment, building large-scale infrastructure, and providing support for Linux based servers and Network devices.
- Must have an understanding of datacenter network architecture and common issues related to datacenter networks.
- Knowledgeable in Data center practices (i.e. cable routing, calculating power usage and cooling).
- Experience with field-based work in POPs, carrier hotels, or Central Office environments.
- Experience with Enterprise and Service Provider network hardware platforms and architectures including Cisco and Juniper routers/switches and Nexus data center switching platforms.
- Have a sound and in-depth understanding of IP technologies such as MPLS, BGP, RSVP-TE, IS-IS
- Have basic understanding of DWDM transmission technology, and circuit troubleshooting techniques
- Solid understanding of fiber-optic technology including cable types, connector types, optic types, patch panels, and optical transport technologies.
- Experience with IPv6 and familiarity with scripting languages is strongly desired
- Proficiency in Linux operating system
- Certification such as CCNA, JNCIA, RHCT or equivalent experience preferred.
- Ability to capture and analyze traffic.
- Solid understanding of Queue Management for tasks and incidents, vendor engagement and escalation and participation in ongoing POPs deployment projects
- Demonstrated ability to analyze complex situations and utilize troubleshooting skills, systems and tools, and creative problem solving abilities under pressure
- Excellent communication skills, should be able to work with carriers remotely
- Experience in dealing with service providers and colocation facilities around the world
- Ability to work within a global team in a fast-paced and dynamic environment with limited supervision
- Strong attention to detail with excellent time management and organization skills
- Ability to lift/move 30-40 lbs.
- 10% to 30% of travel required
- Experience working in a multi-vendor network environment
- Experience with field-based work in Collocation Facilities, Internet Exchanges, or Central Offices.
- Scripting experience with Python or Perl preferred.
- (For APAC) BE/BTECH/MCA degree (preferred) with a strong academic record.
Benefits Package: Protingent offers competitive salary, 100% paid health insurance, education/certification reimbursement, pre-tax commuter benefits, Paid Time Off (PTO) and an administered 401k plan.
About Protingent: Protingent is a niche provider of top Engineering and IT talent to Software, Electronics, Medical Device, Telecom and Aerospace companies nationwide. Protingent exists to make a positive impact and contribution to the lives of others as well as our community by providing relevant, rewarding and exciting work opportunities for our candidates.
Sr. Technical Recruiter
I have been a Technical recruiter for over 20 years, much of that time with Protingent. My passion is teaching people how to manage their career and effectively look for work. I will keep working with a candidate until we find that right fit. I want to know what your dream job would be so I can help you find it.