15055 SW Sequoia Pkwy, Suite 100 Portland, Oregon 97224 | Direct Hire
Position Title: Buyer/Planner
Position Description: Protingent Staffing has an exciting opportunity with our client in Portland, Oregon. This position is responsible for purchasing commercial off-the-shelf communications equipment and fabricated parts including custom sheet metal, cables and machined parts in support of the company’ s product lines. It is also responsible for helping to plan and ensure manufacturing schedules are met. This is a fast-paced working environment with multiple competing priorities. The successful candidate will know how to coordinate and communicate among the various customer groups to achieve all of the desired purchasing priorities.
- Runs gross/shortage reports to support purchasing products and to support PSP schedules/activities
- Processes/rolls up production orders
- Facilitates solutions to schedule changes and issues with suppliers
- Helps create production schedules with Purchasing Supervisor and Manufacturing Manager and Supervisor
- Understands production goals and customer demand and helps resolve any issues so that this demand is met
- Purchase fabricated parts including custom sheet metal, cables and machined parts in support of the company’ s proprietary products
- Initiate RFQs/RFPs, review bids, negotiate terms and pricing for materials
- Negotiate best pricing/availability with distribution/mfg to increase company margin
- Participate in vendor performance reviews
- Identify and resolve purchasing problems/concerns; follow up to ensure timely and accurate product delivery
- Ensures that Purchasing Supervisor receives delivery schedules in a timely manner
- Works directly with Purchasing Supervisor to resolve scheduling and shortage issues
- Communicates with mfg. when there are significant variations in product demand or any potential shortages
- Provides timely projections of materials lead times
- Tracks shipped orders and current orders from vendors
- Corresponds with suppliers regarding current status of purchase orders
- Strongly coordinates with Purchasing Supervisor
- Communicates with other departments including sales, production, warehouse and credit/billing
- Schedules, expedites and coordinates the delivery of critical material, including material transfers & conditional material releases
- Maintains files and records of materials, price, inventories and deliveries in database
- Routinely cleans up purchase order module; closing out and updating aged orders
- Performance requires physical attendance
- Ensures adherence to established government and company policies and procedures, objectives, quality assurance programs and safety standards
- Other duties as assigned
- Min 8+ years’ experience in purchasing/scheduling for both commercial off-the-shelf and custom fabricated parts including sheet metal, plastics, cables, and machined parts
- Ability to quickly learn the company’ s purchasing and inventory processes and procedures and adhere to the company’ s standards of documentation and internal controls and to accurately and efficiently process and place purchase orders is a must.
- Experience with Sage software – MAS 90, MAS 200 or MAS 500
- Experience working with ERP and/or MRP systems
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office
- Ability to work both independently and cooperatively in a cross-functional team and knows when to ask for guidance.
- Demonstrates advanced knowledge and understanding of supply chain activities.
- Ability to handle multiple priorities and deliver on key deadlines
- Ability to read and interpret mechanical drawings
- Understanding of production scheduling
- Ability to detect/analyze and help resolve problems and report information to appropriate personnel
- Ability to work both independently and in a cross-functional team environment Can liaise across departments to solve problems
- Knowledge of procurement rules and regulations
- Ability to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing both internally and externally
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Accuracy and attention to detail is a must
- Must be able to self-organize workloads and manage all deadlines
- APICS/CPM certification desired
- Knowledge of accounting procedures involving procurement and planning
- Understanding of Lean manufacturing principles
About Protingent: Protingent is a niche provider of top Engineering and IT talent to Software, Electronics, Medical Device, Telecom, and Aerospace companies nationwide. Protingent exists to make a positive impact and contribution to the lives of others as well as our community by providing relevant, rewarding, and exciting work opportunities for our candidates.
I have an ability to connect with engineers easily, with an engineering background myself, I can relate and communicate using the same language. I have been working in Technical staffing at Protingent since 2011. I have two dogs, Kaleb & Kayce and two cats, Mika and Shiloh. I am originally from upstate New York, but love living in the Pacific Northwest! I have a passion for cars, old and new.