Big Data DevOps Engineer
Pleasanton, CA 94588
Position Title: Big Data DevOps Engineer
Position Description: Protingent Staffing has an exciting contract opportunity with our client in Pleasanton, California.
- Analyzes, acquires, installs, modifies and supports operating systems, databases, utilities and Internet/intranet-related tools.
- Conducts systems programming and systems support activities, such as new or revised program language codes, processing routines and report generators.
- Monitors effective language codes, processing routines, hardware use and use of database management techniques.
- Modifies, maintains and updates software, such as compilers, link editors, assemblers, OEM utilities, JCL, macros and subroutines.
- Develops and reviews operator and control instructions.
- Prepares and conducts system and programming tests requiring interfacing of hardware and software.
- Conducts programming tasks including program design, program coding, debugging and documentation.
- As directed, prepares feasibility studies and designs tests to determine operating characteristics of software.
- Automate operations for large-scale Hadoop clusters across production and dev environments.
- Design and implement programs for monitoring/alerting/debugging Hadoop clusters
- Design and implement process to upgrade Hadoop, OS and software packages
- Keep close relationship with operation team to understand requirements
- Help to setup and maintain CI/CD pipeline
- Serve in an on-call rotation as an escalation contact for critical production issues
- Bachelor’ s Degree or higher. Computer Science major is preferable.
- 5+ years of industry software engineering experience.
- Strong programming skill required, this role is more development than operation.
- Experience and passion in writing infrastructure automation code using Chef, Puppet, or Ansible
- Good understanding of networks, protocols, servers, storage systems, operating systems
- Expert level on one scripting language like Ruby, Python or Perl
- Hands-on experience with OOP, Java/Scala
- Hands-on Unix/Linux knowledge
- Deep understanding of Hadoop security, authentication/authorization/data-at-rest encryption
- In general, familiar with Hadoop, Spark, Java, Docker, Kubernettes, Git/SVN, Jenkins
- Self-motivated, detail-oriented, attitude of fixing problems
- Excellent verbal and written communication and presentation skills
- Working experience as DBA
- Experience with AWS capabilities and architecture
About Protingent: Protingent is a niche provider of top Engineering and IT talent to Software, Electronics, Medical Device, Telecom, and Aerospace companies nationwide. Protingent exists to make a positive impact and contribution to the lives of others as well as our community by providing relevant, rewarding, and exciting work opportunities for our candidates.
Benefits Package: Protingent offers competitive salary, 100% paid health insurance, education/certification reimbursement, pre-tax commuter benefits, Paid Time Off (PTO) and an administered 401k plan.