San Ramon, California | Contract
Position Title: Technical Writer
Position Description: Protingent Staffing has an exciting opportunity with our client in San Ramon, CA. As a Staff Software Technical Writer, you will be responsible for leading technical writing projects with team members. You will collaborate with cross-functional teams to produce high-quality documentation. S/he will also help to create technical writing strategy on a high level.
- Deliver Online Help, User Guide, Installation Guide, Administrator Guide, Release Notes and Whitepapers for multiple products and services.
- Develop topic-based, structured, single-source documentation using XML authoring.
- Validate, test, review, and edit new and existing customer documentation for quality.
- Be an expert in documenting features, usage, upgrades and lifecycle etc. for software products. Can create a documentation plan for an entire product.
- Actively participate in daily Scrum stand-up meetings, weekly planning, and review meetings
- Have the ability to estimate the working time required to complete a task, or time required for a team to complete a task
- Be skilled at design thinking, and thinking from the perspective of the user
- Plan out tasks to meet deadlines and ensure accountability within the project team
- Be an expert at adapting quickly to new scenarios that require specific skill sets and have high levels of ambiguity
- Collaborate with cross-functional teams, primarily Software Engineering, Quality Assurance, Design, Project Management, and Marketing to produce high-quality, accurate, and concise customer documentation
- Test the user interface for consistency, simplified workflow, and internationalization
- Coordinate all translations and vendor relationships as require
- Track and manage project efforts using issue tracking software such as JIRA or Rally
- Participate in active learning and knowledge sharing sessions with peers in the Technical Publications department
- Bachelor’ s degree (OR high school diploma with at least 10 years’ experience in a technical writing role)
- A minimum of 8 years of experience in technical writing with proven ability to manage technical writing projects from start to finish independently or Master’ s degree with 6 years of experience with technical writing or PHD with 3 years of experience with technical writing
- A minimum of 2 years of structured authoring experience using DITA or equivalent framework.
- Experience with Agile Environment & Java Applications.
- Possesses expert-level abilities in the process of breaking down software processes and effectively communicating the breakdown in writing
- Has expertize in structuring content in topics that can be grouped together as single deliverable and can also be reused in other documents.
- Has a solid understanding of Lean/Agile/XP software development processes, their application to GE projects, and how they influence technical writing
- Possesses deep understanding of the major aspects software Design, namely design patterns, scalability, test planning & strategy, & security/compliance. Leverages this understanding to inform planning for technical writing projects
- Possesses an awareness of the major aspects of software development, namely test automation, build & deploy, performance optimization, & data structures
- Possesses the ability to work in a fast pace Agile environment.
- Possesses a solid understanding of the competitive landscapes and industries GE Software operates within, as well as an awareness of how GE drives value to its customers
- Possesses excellent collaboration skills, and leverages relationships across the business to drive outcomes
- Able to think on a strategic level about the technical writing function and its role in GE Software’ s overall business strategy
- Demonstrates clarity of thinking to work through limited information and vague problem definitions
- Influences through others; builds direct and " behind the scenes" support for ideas
- Proactively identifies and removes project obstacles or barriers on behalf of the team
- Shares knowledge, power, and credit, establishing trust, credibility, and goodwill
- Champions an innovative spirit within the business and is constantly looking for new and better ways to do things. Executes on new methods when appropriate.
- Constantly thinking critically about the task at hand and maintaining an understanding of the problem in the bigger picture
- Effectively manages risk and weighs the pros and cons of important decisions that affect multiple team members
Benefits Package: Protingent offers competitive salary, 100% paid health insurance, education/certification reimbursement, pre-tax commuter benefits, Paid Time Off (PTO) and an administered 401k plan.
About Protingent: Protingent is a niche provider of top Engineering and IT talent to Software, Electronics, Medical Device, Telecom and Aerospace companies nationwide. Protingent exists to make a positive impact and contribution to the lives of others as well as our community by providing relevant, rewarding and exciting work opportunities for our candidates.