San Jose, California | Contract
Position Title: Technical Writer
Position Description: Protingent Staffing has an exciting contract opportunity with our client in San Jose California for an experienced Technical Writer:
As a Software Technical Writer, you will be responsible for leading technical writing projects with team members. You will collaborate with cross-functional teams to produce high-quality documentation. S/he will also help to create technical writing strategy on a high level.
- Deliver Online Help, User Guide, Installation Guide, Administrator Guide, Release Notes and Whitepapers for multiple products and services.
- Develop topic-based, structured, single-source documentation using XML authoring.
- Validate, test, review, and edit new and existing customer documentation for quality.
- Be an expert in documenting features, usage, upgrades and lifecycle etc. for software products within Cisco. Can create a documentation plan for an entire product.
- Actively participate in daily Scrum stand-up meetings, weekly planning, and review meetings
- Have the ability to estimate the working time required to complete a task, or time required for a team to complete a task
- Be skilled at design thinking, and thinking from the perspective of the user.
- Plan out tasks to meet deadlines and ensure accountability within the project team.
- Be an expert at adapting quickly to new scenarios that require specific skill sets and have high levels of ambiguity.
- Collaborate with cross-functional teams, primarily Software Engineering, Quality Assurance, Design, Project Management, and Marketing to produce high-quality, accurate, and concise customer documentation.
- Test the user interface for consistency, simplified workflow, and internationalization.
- Coordinate all translations and vendor relationships as required.
- Track and manage project efforts using issue tracking software such as JIRA or Rally.
- Participate in active learning and knowledge sharing sessions with peers in the Technical Publications department.
- Bachelor’ s degree.
- A minimum of 5 years of experience in technical writing with proven ability to manage technical writing projects from start to finish independently or Master’ s degree with 6 years of experience with technical writing or PHD with 3 years of experience with technical writing.
- A minimum of 2 years of structured authoring experience using DITA or equivalent framework.
- Possesses expert-level abilities in the process of breaking down software processes and effectively communicating the breakdown in writing.
- Has expertise in structuring content in topics that can be grouped together as single deliverable and can also be reused in other documents.
- Has a solid understanding of Lean/Agile/XP software development processes, their application to Cisco projects, and how they influence technical writing.
- Possesses deep understanding of the major aspects software Design, namely design patterns, scalability, test planning & strategy, & security/compliance. Leverages this understanding to inform planning for technical writing projects.
- Possesses an awareness of the major aspects of software development, namely test automation, build & deploy, performance optimization, & data structures.
About Protingent: Protingent is a niche provider of top Engineering and IT talent to Software, Electronics, Medical Device, Telecom and Aerospace companies nationwide. Protingent exists to make a positive impact and contribution to the lives of others as well as our community by providing relevant, rewarding and exciting work opportunities for our candidates.
Benefits Package: Protingent offers competitive salary, 100% paid health insurance, education/certification reimbursement, pre-tax commuter benefits, Paid Time Off (PTO) and an administered 401k plan.