System Engineer, Monitoring
Redmond, Washington | Contract To Hire
Job Title: System Engineer, Monitoring
- This position is responsible for owning, maintaining and administering our various monitoring toolsets (including but not limited to Zenoss, Graphite, Grafana) and working with support teams to help define and build out appropriate monitoring strategies that support our corporate and global service offerings.
- Analyzes data collected to learn about the performance of current infrastructure, applications and services as well as monitoring new technologies.
- Provides tuning to existing monitors by identifying trends, oddities and potential bottlenecks and triggering thresholds or actionable alerts.
- Gathers requirements and collaborates with other engineering teams around application integration with monitoring tools through the build out of analytics (reporting), visualization (dashboards), and alerting (correlation).
- Advocate to the business on monitoring concepts and capabilities and how to use these systems.
- Provides on-call support of our monitoring toolsets.
- Administers monitoring applications and tools sets and takes ownership of performance, availability and capacity planning.
- Researches, evaluates and recommends new technologies and provides a roadmap for future monitoring capabilities.
- Assists with planning and executing disaster recovery solutions and business continuity planning for our monitoring tools.
- Ensures support documentation is current for system configuration of our monitoring tools.
- Provides technical guidance and training to the NOC staff around monitoring solutions and reviews monitoring tasks completed.
- 5+ years’ experience in systems administration with UNIX/Linux based operating systems.
- 5+ years’ experience with mainstream, centralized, enterprise-class monitoring systems such as BMC, Nagios, or SolarWinds.
- Familiar with web application architecture.
- Familiar with HTTP and UDP protocols.
- Familiar with Splunk, SQL, and/or metrics (Statsd, Prometheus, CollectD, InfluxDB, CloudWatch) knowledge a plus.
- Bachelor of Science degree in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, Electrical Engineering, Information Technology, Information Systems, Industrial Engineering, or related field; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
About Protingent: Protingent is a niche provider of top Engineering and IT talent to Software, Electronics, Medical Device, Telecom and Aerospace companies nationwide. Protingent exists to make a positive impact and contribution to the lives of others as well as our community by providing relevant, rewarding and exciting work opportunities for our candidates.
Benefits Package: Protingent offers competitive salary, 100% paid health insurance, education/certification reimbursement, pre-tax commuter benefits, Paid Time Off (PTO) and an administered 401k plan.