Software Engineer II
Hillsboro, Oregon | Contract
Position Title: Software Engineer II
Position Description: Protingent Staffing has an exciting opportunity with our client in Hillsboro, OR
The Security Labs Data Team is responsible for the “ Big Data” infrastructure that acquires, holds, transforms, analyzes, and distributes mission-critical data about current and evolving malware threats.
This team works with Security research and product teams to use our massive repository of security data and a full spectrum of Big Data technologies to combat increasingly sophisticated malware and become part of the heart of our client’ s Security’ s future anti-malware strategy. We are currently seeking a talented individual that can contribute as both a Database Administrator and Engineer to our ongoing database efforts. Candidate will be active in all facets of the team, detail-oriented, data-centric, and enjoy contributing to simplifying complex systems.
The primary focus of this position will be to contribute to and support the various Data Team systems. The ideal candidate will be able to support a critical database and develop solutions for internal customer needs. This position will work to understand the workflow, technology, and business value of key databases/systems. The right candidate will work closely with the architect, developers, program management, distributed development teams, and key stakeholders in an effort to clearly understand what is currently in place, contribute to the end state, and play a role in closing the gaps between the two. They will be expected to collaborate and provide feedback on key objectives and issues. This position will report into the Director of Data Operations.
- Ensures the uptime of business-critical systems meets acceptable standards
- Performs database maintenance, including but not limited to the following: patching, upgrades, fixes, performance tuning, index rebuilds, monitoring, user access, security, storage, etc…
- Contributes to efforts related to validating data recovery, data integrity, data quality, and storage/space requirements
- Contributes to system audits, capacity planning, defining database security, data backups, data recovery, and issue post-mortems to help drive continuous improvement in practices, processes, and procedures
- May be asked to support mission-critical production databases, respond to calls for assistance, and performs off-hours troubleshooting
- May be asked to create/maintain or automate utilities that perform a variety of data related tasks e.g. backups, migrations, one-off data repair/recovery, etc.
- Identifies database requirements by interviewing customers; analyzing department applications, programming, and operations; evaluating existing systems and designing proposed systems
- Recommends solutions by defining database physical structure and functional capabilities, database security, data back-up, and recovery specifications
- Maintains database performance by calculating optimum values for database parameters; implementing new releases; completing maintenance requirements; evaluating computer operating systems and hardware products
- Works closely with research, product, engineering and data mining teams on requirements, to support database aspects of their data access and management needs
- Participates in code/design reviews, testing, maintaining, performance tuning, supporting availability, providing scalability, and ensuring recoverability of key databases
- Active in all phases of system development; planning and analysis, design, development, and testing
- Investigates and fixes defects; pre and post-release
- Develops/maintains reusable technical documentation and operational procedures for areas of responsibility
- Able to perform detailed root cause analysis
- Follows and contributes to team standards and utilizes industry best practices
- Will be self-directed in the management of daily operations work, including managing service requests, monitoring capacity, producing metrics, and working with change control
- Bachelor Degree, majoring in Engineering, Computer Science, Business, related field/degree, and/or equivalent experience
- Candidate with 1+ years of relevant DBA experience (MSSQL/Oracle)
- Experience with the following is a plus: Subversion, Bugzilla, Microsoft Sequel Server, data mining, T-SQL, MySQL, NoSQL, HBase, or DB connection strings
- Expertise in Programming in database code [T-SQL, PL/SQL, SQL]
- Scripting expertise in any two languages [Shell Script, PowerShell, Python, Perl]
- Exposure to Operating System administration [Linux, Windows]
- Also good to have: some exposure around networking concepts, storage concepts, virtual machines.
- Experience with the following is a plus: Spark, Kafka, Subversion, Bugzilla, data mining, NoSQL, T-SQL, Cassandra, Cloudera, and DB connection strings
- Able to support system administrator duties is a plus (build servers, perform upgrades, configure storage, etc.)
- Solid understanding of the features of the host machine, operating system, and attached storage devices
- Able to complete performance troubleshooting with applications running on Linux and Windows platforms
- Excellent communication skills and Effective in a fast-paced, deadline-oriented environment; able to meet multiple deadlines
- Highly motivated, results driven self-starter, who takes initiative, has with a willingness to learn, and thrives in environments requiring ability to effectively prioritize and multi-task
- Ability to give and receive constructive criticism and to provide direction and insight to others who need assistance with SQL and other database related tasks
- Demonstrated project and time management talents with a strong results-orientation necessary.
- Proven success in coordinating technical projects requiring contributions from multiple teams
- Ability to work directly with data and service consumers to provide support or to elicit project or support requirements
- Ability to work with highly distributed, high volume production systems
- Database Performance Tuning, Database Security, Promoting Process Improvement, Problem Solving, Presenting Technical Information, Quality Focus, Database Management, Data Maintenance, Operating Systems, Attention to Detail, Information Security Policies
Benefits Package: Protingent offers competitive salary, 100% paid health insurance, education/certification reimbursement, pre-tax commuter benefits, Paid Time Off (PTO) and an administered 401k plan.
About Protingent: Protingent is a niche provider of top Engineering and IT talent to Software, Electronics, Medical Device, Telecom and Aerospace companies nationwide. Protingent exists to make a positive impact and contribution to the lives of others as well as our community by providing relevant, rewarding and exciting work opportunities for our candidates.