Project Manager 1 (IT)
Portland, Oregon | Contract
Position Title: Project Manager 1 (IT)
Position Description: Protingent Staffing has an exciting opportunity with our client in Portland, OR
This position will focus on small projects (PMO Lite), facilitating initiatives generally less than $250, 000 in budget, generally less than 6 months in duration, and limited to one or two cross functional groups. In addition, the position will provide support to Portfolio Managers in developing integrated schedules across a portfolio of projects along with other coordination duties as listed below. This Project Manager will play a key role in helping to meet business, schedule, and budget objectives
- Facilitate manager assigned PMO Lite information technology (IT) projects from inception to conclusion and in accordance with PMI-based methodology, industry standards, best practices and internal skill development.
- Provide recommendations and guidance to technical staff and serve as liaison between business and technical aspects of projects. This includes planning project stages and assessing business implications for each stage.
- Facilitate a defined original project scope and obtain authorization for changes to the project cost, schedule, or performance.
- Monitor the project schedule. Alert the Manager to any changes to or delays in the schedule.
- Support the project team through the project management process (assisting Management in creating and implementing the project plan).
- Schedule and facilitate team meetings and coordinate activities of sub-teams.
- Plan, and coordinate activities for a designated project (may include multiple projects) to verify that goals or objectives of the project are accomplished within the prescribed time frame and funding parameters.
- Review the budget for the project (monitor project funding and budget). Alert the Manager of any budget concerns. (see Note above).
- Actively engage with the business and IT teams to facilitate the tasks and activities of the team, properly understand the business needs, dependencies on other initiatives, and assist Management in deploying the solution.
- Alert the Manager of obstacles or work with the project sponsor or project resource’ s performance managers to remove obstacles so that the team can complete the project.
- Assist the manager in building and coordinating an effective team and allocating team members to project tasks. Alert the Manager of any resource allocation issues and recommend solutions (See note above).
- Allocate time in the project plan for the project team to attend all recommended training.
- Project Manager must take a pro-active stance on risk management.
- Analyze and identify areas of risk and obtain appropriate guidance from manager or Contracting Officer.
- Maintain issue, risk, and/or action logs.
- Draft and recommend contingency plans to minimize / eliminate risks on an ongoing basis.
- Draft regular status reports, final reports or deliverables and generate and act on lessons learned. With approval of the manager, issue final reports and act on lessons learned.
- Maintain consistent communication with the project sponsor, project resource’ s performance managers, and stakeholders on the progress of the project versus the plan.
Must Have Requirements:
- Bachelor’ s Degree in Computer Science, Information Technology, Business Administration or a closely-related technical discipline is desired. (Bachelor’ s Degree in specific or directly-related field can be substituted for 4 years’ required experience.)
- This is a Level 1 position: 5 - 9 years of experience in Computer/Information Technology or Project Management related field; typically responsible for small-sized projects (less than $500K lifecycle cost) is required. (1 - 4 years with Bachelor’ s degree, as specified above.)
- 1 - 4 years of demonstrated project management experience on technology projects using industry standard methods and tools for managing schedules, dependencies, resources, funding and developing technical specifications and project plans is required.
- 1 year demonstrated experience successfully coordinating or running multiple projects simultaneously is required.
- 1 year demonstrated working knowledge of System Development Life Cycle (SDLC) principles is required.
- Demonstrated experience in project planning for assigned work streams, managing priorities, deliverables and milestones; identifying and tracking project issues, risks, decisions and action items is required.
- Demonstrated experience with Microsoft Project, including familiarity with the fundamental operation, function, and workflow of Microsoft Project in regard to timelines, dependencies, deliverables, milestones, and resources is required.
- Demonstrated experience with Visio flowcharts is required.
- Experience in iterative development (e.g. Agile, Scrum, Lean, Six Sigma) is highly desirable.
- PMP certification is highly desirable.
- Change Management experience is desirable.
- Experience in a government or utility organization is desirable.
- Microsoft Windows/Office experience (Word, Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint, Visio and MS Project). MS Office 2010 proficiency is required.
- Ability to organize and analyze detailed information and present it in a variety of formats for business, executive, and technical audiences.
- Ability to write and understand functional and technical IT specifications.
- Ability to accurately assess and estimate project costs.
- Working knowledge of software development planning, functional and technical specifications, and life-cycle management.
- Working knowledge of software testing from test plan development to reliable and verifiable test case development and results.
- Ability to facilitate story development with product owner, manage project backlog, facilitate sprint planning sessions, and manage task burndown.
- Experience using Team Foundation Server for agile project development/project management.
- Ability to work with a diverse group across business units to elicit both technical and business process requirements. Will include communicating and reporting directly with multiple levels of the organization including Senior Executive Management.
- Encourage and motivate team members to improve timeliness of task completion.
- Demonstrated ability and time management skills to assist in keeping project, team, and organization on track.
- Carry out assigned tasks with a professional demeanor reflected in excellent written and oral communication skills, listening skills, patience, analytical reasoning and problem solving abilities.
- Communicate verbally and in writing reflecting a clear, accurate, and courteous style and be able to communicate technical information verbally and in writing to technical and non-technical users.
- Meet timelines, milestones, and deliverables and provide timely (daily) status updates and to work autonomously given specific assignments. Understand and follow established processes and procedures including Change Management, Work Tracking and Time Management.
- Ensure proper identification as a contract worker in all communications, correspondence, etc.
Benefits Package: Protingent offers competitive salary, 100% paid health insurance, education/certification reimbursement, pre-tax commuter benefits, Paid Time Off (PTO) and an administered 401k plan.
About Protingent: Protingent is a niche provider of top Engineering and IT talent to Software, Electronics, Medical Device, Telecom and Aerospace companies nationwide. Protingent exists to make a positive impact and contribution to the lives of others as well as our community by providing relevant, rewarding and exciting work opportunities for our candidate.