Network Engineer IV
Menlo Park, California | Contract
Position Title: Network Engineer IV
Position Description: Protingent Staffing has an exciting opportunity with our client in Menlo Park, CA.
- Schedule and perform network maintenance, repair, and upgrade tasks as needed while limiting the impact on the production network.
- Manage project timelines to support network turn-up within expected completion intervals.
- Troubleshoot network issues in adherence to SLAs Responsible for asset management of networking gear in data center and POP sites Manage stock quantities and use logistics to prepare for installations in the near future.
- Proactively contribute to documentation, automation and processes as they evolve
- Document and follow RMA processes and procedures for all relevant vendors.
- Follow, improve, and implement data center and POP best practices
- Work closely with Network Engineering, Logistics, and equipment vendors as new equipment and technologies are integrated into the production network.
- Use internal tools and scripts to configure, monitor, and repair network equipment
- Perform detailed troubleshooting remotely and engage and manage vendors as needed to fix hardware issues at the POP sites.
- Manage physical access list for POP sites
- Monitor incident queue and take ownership or distribute to the team members tasks/tickets within the scope of this engagement.
- Responsible for ordering cross connects and working with carriers for LOA
- Work with carriers and network provisioning engineers to turn up new circuits and engage and escalate with vendors to troubleshoot out-of-service or faulty circuits
- Strictly follow established procedures while enabling a circuit End to End test after a circuit is provisioned
- Participate in on call activities and follow escalation process to support the infrastructure 24/7
- Experience with NOC environments and working to SLAs
- Experience with routing and switching technologies and protocols including TCP/IP, STP, VLAN, VRRP, CDP, LLDP, BGP, ISIS, OSPF, and MPLS
- Experience with Enterprise and Service Provider network hardware platforms and architectures, including Cisco and Juniper routers/switches and Nexus data center switching platforms
- Experience with IPv6 and familiarity with programming/scripting languages is strongly desired
- Solid understanding of Queue Management for tasks and incidents, vendor
- Experience with work in POPs, carrier hotels, or Central Office environments.
- Strong attention to detail with excellent time management and organization skills
- Demonstrated ability to analyze complex situations and utilize troubleshooting skills, systems and tools, and creative problem solving abilities under pressure
- Familiarity with Content Delivery Networks and POP architecture.
- Solid understanding of fiber-optic technology including cable types, connector types, optic types, patch panels, and optical transport technologies.
- Proficiency in Linux operating system
- Excellent communication skills, should be able to work with service providers and colocation facilities around the world
- Ability to work within a global team in a fast-paced and dynamic environment with limited supervision
- Ability to capture and analyze traffic.
- Certification such as CCNA/CCNP, JNCIA/JNCIS, RHCSA or equivalent experience preferred.
- Weekend and shift may be required
- 15% of travel required
Benefits Package: Protingent offers competitive salary, 100% paid health insurance, education/certification reimbursement, pre-tax commuter benefits, Paid Time Off (PTO) and an administered 401k plan.
About Protingent: Protingent is a niche provider of top Engineering and IT talent to Software, Electronics, Medical Device, Telecom and Aerospace companies nationwide. Protingent exists to make a positive impact and contribution to the lives of others as well as our community by providing relevant, rewarding and exciting work opportunities for our candidates.