Hardware Engineering Manager
Bothell, Washington | Direct Hire
Position Title: Hardware Engineering Manager
Position Description: Protingent Staffing has an exciting contract opportunity with our client in Bothel Washington for an experienced Hardware Engineering Manager:
Primary Duties and Responsibilities:
Planning & Strategy
- Plan, drive and oversee the on-time development of new imaging devices and supporting products that meet quality and customer requirements
- In collaboration with Systems Engineering, Marketing, Program Managers and other cross-functional stakeholders, define and communicate development goals and product solutions that satisfy business objectives
- Collaborate with internal management team to define R&D objectives, product development budgets, determine timelines, and establish accomplishment milestones to measure progress.
- Stay current and implement emerging technologies to advance medical device design using appropriate materials, and technology that can be transferred to production and manufacturing systems
- Establish department goals/objectives on an annual basis and monitor progress.
- Provide technical engineering leadership and mentoring to ensure new product development projects remain on schedule, within budgets, meet end use performance criteria, and fully conform to established design control and related FDA/ISO compliance criteria.
- Assess and review design options
- Ensure rigorous documentation for all phases of development, including design specifications, verification/validation test plans, and project schedules.
- Participate in the selection of vendors and fabrication sources. Work closely with (contract) manufacturers and apply DFA and DFM principles to promote efficient design transfer into production.
- Review and approve engineering change orders for compliance to regulatory requirements.
- Provide project status update summaries to senior leadership
- Lead and oversee the execution of deliverables by a team of mechanical and electrical engineers including a prototyping/model shop
- Provide leadership mentoring and coaching to less-experienced people leaders (team leads)
- Recruit, select, and retain a high performance team
- Set and communicate performance expectations and hold team members accountable for achieving expectations and completing assignments
- Promote and manage employee development and foster employee growth through:
- Full-cycle performance management
- Skills development and career coaching
- Ongoing performance feedback and timely performance appraisal
- Recognition and motivational techniques/tools to drive high levels of employee satisfaction
- Coach and mentor staff to deliver excellence to every internal and external customer.
- Solicit ongoing feedback from PM’ s and Peers on team member performance and contribution to projects.
- Drive individuals and the team to continuously improve in key metrics and the achievement of the functional goals.
- Provide communication forum for the exchange of ideas and information with the department. Ask questions; encourage input from team members.
- Bachelor’ s degree in mechanical or electrical engineering (or equivalent engineering discipline)
- 8 years of technical product development experience
- 3+ years directly managing engineers or highly technical teams
- 3+ years in the medical device industry or highly regulated industry
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills to interface, negotiate influence multi-disciplinary teams and with different levels of personnel.
- Strong technical aptitude and problem solving skills.
- MBA or advanced degree in engineering (preferred)
- Technical expertise in imaging, handheld and mobile devices, electro-mechanical products
- Product development experience in medical device environment specific to diagnostic imaging
- Development Sciences:
- Mechanical and Electrical: DOA analysis, Six-sigma processes, System design Mechanical FEA, Thermal, Fluid Power, Heat transfer
- Adheres to all company policies, procedures and business ethics codes and ensures that they are communicated and implemented within the team.
About Protingent: Protingent is a niche provider of top Engineering and IT talent to Software, Electronics, Medical Device, Telecom and Aerospace companies nationwide. Protingent exists to make a positive impact and contribution to the lives of others as well as our community by providing relevant, rewarding and exciting work opportunities for our candidates.