San Francisco, California | Contract
Position Title: Forensic Engineer
Position Description: Protingent Staffing has an exciting opportunity with our client in San Francisco, CA. Our future success depends to a great extent upon our ability to rigorously protect this brand by safeguarding the intellectual property underlying it. Consistent with our brand protection policies, we require close monitoring of all licensees to ensure that they comply fully with the terms of our licensing agreements - and that we receive all royalties due. Reporting to the Sr. Manager, Forensic Engineering in our San Francisco headquarters, the Sr. Compliance Engineer will be a key part of the technical team responsible for worldwide compliance and enforcement. This individual will work closely with the IP Protection Group to promote compliance, and prevent licensing and trademark infringement in the market. The company has developed several programs that enable us to monitor the marketplace by efficiently managing and analyzing large amounts of internal and external data. In addition, we ensure our policies are effective by working closely with our Customers, Customs, Industry Associations, Law Enforcement and Trade Show administrators.
The Sr. Compliance Engineer will be responsible for supporting these activities by performing strategic analysis of available information and guide field audits and enforcement, leveraging company’ s centric technical expertise and partnering with colleagues as needed. The position will also act as a technical resource across the larger IPP organization and external partners. The individual will interact regularly with global compliance personnel, auditors, lawyers and other compliance stakeholders worldwide in support of these activities.
Essential Job Functions:
- Audit support:
- Pre-audit analysis – provide strategic product analysis of licensees selected for audits, diligence on cross sales of and between components/technologies of licensees and their related entities under review
- In field support – onsite and offsite assistance in support of product sample/spec testing during audit fieldwork, provision of product knowledge and expertise in support of audits
- Post-audit analysis – product testing and technology assessment for negotiation purposes
- Contribute to IP Protection Strategy Planning
- Perform macro level analysis across product segments, to identify non-compliance and potential opportunities.
- Implement process improvements, to increase efficiently and accuracy.
- Train others on new technologies as needed, working across IPP to develop comprehensive enforcement plan.
- Trade show and Enforcement
- Perform market research to identify infringement or non-compliance across company’ s ecosystem
- Attend trade shows, identifying infringing products and unlicensed entities
- Identify, procure and test samples as necessary to detect infringement and gather intelligence
- Assisting software compliance lead in assessing third party solutions with respect to preventive compliance, such as encryption, locking, tracking, tracing, monitoring technologies and mechanisms
- Assist in technical supervision and education of other Dolby products and services.
- Train compliance and audit personnel on company’ s products as needed
- BSEE and at least 2 years of relevant work experience in forensic engineering, failure investigation or Intellectual Property protection desired.
- Minimum experience is 2 years with either data analysis or electronics assembly and testing (teardown, assembly, testing, troubleshooting, etc.)
- Strong analytical skills, with demonstrated experience performing data analysis and trending.
- Experience testing consumer oriented audio/video products such as TVs, STBs, DMAs, mobile phones and tablets is highly desired.
- Requires familiarity with company’ s products and technologies.
- Must have an aptitude for mechanical engineering and familiarity with product teardown.
- Knowledge of electrical components and paths in a typical mix facility.
- Must possess a basic understanding of standard analog and digital recording equipment.
- Understanding of iOS, Android and Windows operating systems is desired.
- Experience debugging or testing of the Audio/Video system is preferred.
- Solid understanding of Tier 1 Consumer Electronics distribution channels is preferred.
- Demonstrated willingness and ability to work autonomously with a geographically distributed team.
- Keen understanding of technology in the context of intellectual property.
- Strong ability to think independently and deeply about problems/solutions.
- Ability to work effectively across functions to achieve goals established in a team environment.
- Strong written communication skills - ability to articulate verbally and in writing technical issues to stakeholders.
- Flexibility in day-to-day work. Must be willing to work flexible hours, and work late on short notice.
- Diligent, deadline oriented
- International travel required up to 25% of the time
Benefits Package: Protingent offers competitive salary, 100% paid health insurance, education/certification reimbursement, pre-tax commuter benefits, Paid Time Off (PTO) and an administered 401k plan.
About Protingent: Protingent is a niche provider of top Engineering and IT talent to Software, Electronics, Medical Device, Telecom and Aerospace companies nationwide. Protingent exists to make a positive impact and contribution to the lives of others as well as our community by providing relevant, rewarding and exciting work opportunities for our candidates.