Business Systems Analyst 3
Vancouver, Washington | Contract
Position Title: Business Systems Analyst 3
Position Description: Protingent Staffing has an exciting opportunity with our client in Vancouver, WA. This fulltime contract Business Systems Analyst 3 position will support Energy Management Systems (EMS) organization (TTSE). The TTSE organization provides life-cycle support for Energy Management Systems (EMS) used in support of Control Centers. Responsibilities include analysis, engineering, design, implementation, operations and maintenance support and technical leadership for the systems required to support the operation of an interconnected utility. This position will perform needs modeling, informal and formal evaluations of hardware applicability, software design or design reviews through development of algorithms. This position will also provide technical analysis of changes to the operational environment to include recommending actions to minimize impacts to systems.
- Provide a high level of technical expertise to assist management with:
- Planning and implementing high availability, real-time, closed-loop, control system software projects that are critical to Transmission Services.
- Facilitating and coordinating projects and design software so that new operating requirements can be added while validating the continuous availability of the existing system.
- With oversight and approval from the manager:
- Perform needs modeling, informal and formal evaluations of hardware applicability, software design or design reviews through development of algorithms.
- Provide technical analysis of changes before they are deployed to the operational environment to minimize impacts to dispatchers’ ability to perform real-time monitoring and control of the power grid.
- Code, test, install, and document detailed programs while applying applicable standards to all products.
- Run utility programs to compile, test, debug, and install software.
- Develop and implement software solutions and procedures to recover from malfunctions in order to keep downtime to a minimum.
- Design and write diagnostic software to enable hardware personnel to find and solve hardware problems
- Monitor and analyze computer performance. If performance is unacceptable, verify immediate actions are taken to improve performance.
- Design and install software changes to improve performance.
- Study existing failures and electronic problem reports, including those of hardware interfaces, to determine the cause of the problems. If the identified failure is within the application environment, develop and implement a solution; otherwise, report findings to the appropriate team.
- Prepare technical reports, documents, studies, and system documentation as required.
- Follow established software control standards and procedures, and maintain quality documentation.
- Work with the hardware staff, dispatchers, telecommunications and field personnel, as required, to develop solutions.
- Write operational internal control center procedures for computer operators, computer system monitors (NSOC), software staff, and other users as required.
- Provide technical assistance and internal control center procedure training to the operators, the NSOC, and hardware and software staff.
- Bachelor’ s Degree in Computer Science, Information Technology, Business Systems or a closely related technical discipline is required.
- Required Experience: A minimum combination of work-related experience, on-the-job training, and/or vocational training is desired. Experience should be consistent with the specific requirements of Information Technology, Business Systems, or other related IT specialty.
- Minimum Related Experience for Level 3: 12 years previous Information Technology, Business Systems or other closely related technical experience is required.
- 5+ years experience with the use and support of Energy Management Systems (EMS) software is required, preferably in a power system control center environment, with complex computer interrelationships and network topologies.
- 5+ years of GE - Alstom e-terraHabitat, e-terraPlatform (EMP), and e-terraControl (SMP) software experience, sufficient to develop, test and integrate application software in those environments is required.
- 5+ years of experience with the fundamentals of Automatic Generation Control is required.
- Knowledge of North American Electric Reliability Corporation – Critical Infrastructure Protection (NERC-CIP) and National Institute of Standards and Technology and Federal Information Security Management Act FISMA requirements is preferred.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office Suite products, including MS Word, PowerPoint, Excel, Outlook and Project (MS Office 2010 proficiency required).
- Experience developing and testing real-time, closed-loop control system software.
- Experience in using software revision control such as SVN or git
- Ability to design and document solutions with systems and software.
- Ability to use high level programming languages such as FORTRAN and C++ sufficient to create, modify and maintain applications written in these languages.
- Knowledge of ‘ Requirements Engineering’ and software development life cycles.
- Ability to analyze data; identify quality assurance/quality control issues; and, identify failure or maintenance trends.
- Ability to build credibility and trust among key project stakeholders and customers.
- Ability to communicate technical information verbally and in writing to technical and non-technical users.
- Must be self-motivated, self-disciplined, with a proven ability to work effectively under pressure or with frequent interruptions and priority changes while maintaining professional composure and exercising tact and diplomacy.
- Ability to successfully engage in multiple initiatives simultaneously
- Possess organizational capabilities and ability to carry out duties with little direction.
- Carry out assigned tasks with a professional demeanor reflected in excellent written and oral communication skills, listening skills, patience, analytical reasoning and problem solving abilities.
- Meet timelines, milestones, and deliverables and provide timely (weekly) status updates.
- Follow established processes and procedures including Change Management, Work Tracking, and Time Management.
- Obtain appropriate BPA manager / personnel approval for all recommendations and drafted materials.
- Ensure proper identification of self as a contract worker in all communications, correspondence, etc.
Benefits Package: Protingent offers competitive salary, 100% paid health insurance, education/certification reimbursement, pre-tax commuter benefits, Paid Time Off (PTO) and an administered 401k plan.
About Protingent: Protingent is a niche provider of top Engineering and IT talent to Software, Electronics, Medical Device, Telecom and Aerospace companies nationwide. Protingent exists to make a positive impact and contribution to the lives of others as well as our community by providing relevant, rewarding and exciting work opportunities for our candidates.